Monday, February 18, 2008

Daddy's Home!

Shannon called me at 5:50pm to tell me Rob had dropped him off and he was on his way up the road. We waited anxiously by the front windows watching for him. By 6:15pm I was getting nervous, so I decided to drive the van down to the end of the lane and see if I could see him coming. Once outside I found that the garage door was frozen shut and stuck to the floor.






I walked down to the end of the driveway, but couldn't see him coming. It was VERY cold. The wind had picked up quite a bit. My thermometer said it was 3 degrees. I went back to the house and debated how to try to get the garage door open. Soon I saw Shannon coming up the road. It was 6:25pm. The first picture did not turn out well because of all of the blowing snow, but right in the middle of the picture is Shannon trudging along with a big orange bag over his shoulder.
We were all very grateful to see him! He says it wasn't too cold, but he fell 3-4 times along the side of the road. His choices were to either walk where the snow was shallow but icy, or go through the deep snow where it wasn't so slippery. Some of the drifts were over his head.
Hopefully the snow plows will get through tomorrow and we'll be free to come and go as we please.










He says the smiles, hugs and kisses from his girls were worth the trip and he would do it all over again if he had to.













Not only did Shannon have to walk through snow, ice, cold and wind to get home, but he had to do it carrying a gallon of milk, a dozen eggs, a loaf of bread, a quart of ice cream, and two birthday presents for Naomi. Next year we'll plan ahead a little better.

"The name of the Lord is a strong tower; The righteous run to it and are safe." Proverbs 18:10

No comments: