Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Pancake School

Yesterday morning we made pancakes for breakfast. I got the creative idea from Becky's blog. I'm not one to get up early to make breakfast most mornings, but this time I felt inspired. We simply added food coloring to the pancake batter. Easy!

As all the children gathered around to help, we had the opportunity to learn a lot of things. In fact, I was almost convinced that after breakfast, we wouldn't even have to do any more school for the rest of the day.






Math: We multiplied the recipe by four, then measured all of the ingredients.

Science: We talked about diffusion of the color throughout the pancake batter. When you stir and speed up the molecules, the color spreads faster.

Art: We mixed colors and made patterns in the pancakes.

Home Ec: cooking

Reading: We read the recipe from the cookbook.

Writing: If I had boys who liked to write, I would have had them write about the experience. That's girly. We don't do that.

We did end up doing all of our school work for the day. It was the right thing to do.

"Where there is no counsel, the people fall; But in the multitude of counselors there is safety." Proverbs 11:14

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sweet. I was never able to get up early to make a hot breakfast either, but my friend Linda turned me on to Batter Blaster. Organic pancake batter in a spray can. It's super quick, no mess, and the kids love it. Can make fun shapes, too. Can find it in grocery stores near the eggs. Give it a try.

Beckysblog said...

I feel so proud that I gave YOU An idea!!! ;)

Shannon/Jodi said...

Tim--Thanks for the idea. We'll give it a try sometime.

Becky--You always have fun ideas. My kids see me reading your blog, and wish I could be more fun like you!