Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Thanksgiving 2007


This year we hosted Thanksgiving at our home. Our guests included my parents and my Aunt Lorraine and Uncle Jerry. Katie and I started our preparations early in the week by chopping onions, celery and carrots. This was Katie's first experience with onions making her cry. The tears are kind of hard to find in the picture, but they're there. Colton came in the room while we were chopping and found both of us "crying". He was very concerned about what had made both of us cry.

This is a picture of the first turkey I have ever attempted to make. Shannon has always handled that chore in the past. He did help me out at times this year. For example, it was his job to take the bag of innards out of the bird and dispose of it. My recipe stated I had to add the turkey neck to a pot of water with celery, onions and carrots to make some turkey broth for the dressing. After taking a look at the turkey neck, I decided it could be Shannon's job to put it in the pot. ICK! After the broth had been simmering for several hours, Alex walked into the kitchen to find out what smelled so good and see if could have some. I told him to help himself. You should have seen the look on his face when he saw that big ol' turkey neck floating in the pot. Priceless! Shannon also was assigned the job of rubbing the butter up under the turkey's skin, because I certainly didn't want turkey slime under MY fingernails. I put the 20 pound bird in the oven way before sunrise on Thursday morning, expecting it to be done around 11:00. It was done at 10:00, instead. Shannon took it out of the oven. I guess overall, Shannon did a lot more to prepare this turkey than I did, but I was the one telling him what to do, so I should get SOME credit. All of the food made it to the table on time, and the only casualties were the yeast rolls I attempted to make. I had made them 4 times in the past two weeks with no problems, but this time they did not rise. I guess it really does matter what temperature the water is when dissolving the yeast.


We had a nice day of family and fellowship, reflecting on all of the blessings God has given us. We truly do have an abundance of blessings to be thankful for.

"She also rises while it is yet night, and provides food for her household..." Proverbs 31:15

No comments: