Wednesday, December 19, 2007

School Daze

I think we are all in a funk around here about school. I was just whining to a friend and fellow homeschooler (Hi Mary!) about the shortcomings and supposed failures of subjecting ourselves and our children to this lifestyle. She emailed me back an encouraging note reminding me just why we have chosen this path. We may not do everything "by the book", the same way the public school does things, but that is part of WHY we homeschool. God likes our children home with us, and has entrusted them to Shannon and I to raise to the best of our ability--with an abundance of His help, guidance, and stamina.


Because we were all inclined to not open too many text books today (we did our Bible time this morning), I have determined to make the "non school" things we do "schoolish". For example, Chase decided to bake a cake this afternoon. It was a plain old French Vanilla box mix. We decided to spice it up a little with some food coloring. He applied the drops of color, then mixed them up to make a rainbow. Just think of all the school we did, just in baking a cake. We did Math (measuring), Home Ec (cooking), Art, Graphic Design, Science, Photography, Language Arts, Reading. Boy, that sounds like a lot of school work. I'm exhausted. I think we'll be done for today!



"Get wisdom! Get understanding! Do not forget, nor turn away from the words of my mouth." Proverbs 4:5

No comments: